Saturday 25 September 2010

Green Mubazzara 25th September

Drove the 1.5 hour journey down to Al Ain early this morning to chance my luck with a Baillon's Crake !  Not too many records of these little fellas in the UAE.  Set off at 6am only to find thick Fog for the first 40km,  slowed me down somewhat,  but as I headed inland the Fog soon dispersed.  Green Mubazzara is an area of parkland just at the foot of Jebel Hafeet and is always good during Migration !  Today was no exception.

A fine Hooded Wheatear pair were the first birds I encountered, so I spent some time with them before looking for the crake.

Hooded Wheatear
(Oenanthe monacha)
Hooded Wheatear
(Oenanthe monacha)

Whilst following this pair around I also stumbled across a lovely Pied Wheatear sitting on a fence watching the  Hooded Wheatear scrap with 2 Hume's Wheatear over territory !

Pied Wheatear
(Oenanthe pleschanka)

Finally took myself to the location where the crake had been found and set up the camera.  Didnt have to wait too long before the young Baillon's crake made an appearence,  although the area was quite dark.  For that reason I had to work quite hard to get anything remotely decent - but reasonably happy I guess.

Baillon's Crake
(Porzana pusilla )

Baillon's Crake
(Porzana pusilla )



Other birds seen during the morning included,


1 Common Kestrel
3 Blue Rock Thrush
1 Rock Thrush
2 Isabeline Wheatear
3 Lesser Whitethroat
2 Graceful Prinia
1 Spotted Flycatcher

Blue Rock Thrush
(Monticola solitarius)

Blue Rock Thrush
(Monticola solitarius)

Off to Prague now on a business trip for a week so probably no more reports until I get back.

As always for more pics please visit Mike at Pbase


No comments:

Post a Comment