Thursday 10 November 2011

Pied Cuckoos everywhere !

Well only 2 in the UAE .......

News of Pied Cuckoos in Kuwait and Oman, the latter in great numbers it seems, the UAE did manage 2 at the Fujeirah Dary Farm over the last weekend.   This was actually a first for me having missed the last record in 2009 despite hours of searching.   Initially there had been some confusion over wether there were indeed 2,  studies of images suggested there were 2 but this became conclusive when I saw them both in the same Acacia bush.   Having satisfied myself with the Cuckoos I then decided to wander around the farm , starting by the tree-line by the cattle sheds, I flushed a bird from the trees and having seen many of these in India I instantly called White-throated Kingfisher but I needed to be 100% convinced.  A subsequent refind ensured I could confidently call this bird.   A brief landing in the cattle sheds allowed photographic evidence.  Not sure how many records there have been in the UAE but I know they are not frequent.   Some pics from the day .......
 

 Pied Cuckoo (Clamator jacobinus)
 Pied Cuckoo (Clamator jacobinus)
 Pied Cuckoo (Clamator jacobinus)
 Pied Cuckoo (Clamator jacobinus)
Pied Cuckoo (Clamator jacobinus)
 Masked Wagtail (Motacilla alba personata)
 Ortolan Bunting (Emberiza hortulana)
Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis )
White-throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis )


4 comments:

  1. Another great serie, the Pied Cuckoo is sucvh a nice bird and very nicelly photographied ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More fabulous images Mike - Great work!
    Incidentally, I believe the raptor is a juvenile Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga).
    Keep shooting and sharing,
    NPW

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fabulous images Mike - great work!
    Incidentally, I believe that the raptor is a juvenile Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga).
    Keep shooting and sharing!
    Best regards,
    NPW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, I remember a long discussion in the Uaebirding forum on this, not sure there was ever a definitive answer.

      Delete